Isaac's answer kind of helps, but kind of doesn't.    The problem I'm trying
to get around is the very users he's referring to ... the ones who are
paranoid (and this client attracts them like flies to a barbecue) and have
personal firewalls that prevent the variable cgi.http-referer being passed.
(It's this variable that I've relied on up till now but the growth of
personal firewalls has made it a problem we have to deal with now)

So any solution is going to have to deal with these people.    They log into
the shop, pay their money or give their passwords to validate their
subscription status.  Then they go to an article in the site.  The article
can be a free article (no problems there) or pay-per-view or members only or
only for a particular class of members.  Up till now, I've worked on the
assumption that if they have access to the article that is sending them to
my ColdFusion app, then they can have access to my app.   So I just checked
the page they're coming from and if it's the correct article, I let them in,
if it's not the correct article, I send them to the article head page to
start there, and let the .asp shop take care of the access control.

However there are all these people who are using firewalls and not letting
their browsers pass cgi.http_referer and therefore the CF app is assuming
they aren't coming from the right place and kicks them back to the start of
the story.   This is a problem if the user has just finished paying for a
24hour view of the article.

Has anyone actually done it - pick up session vars created by an .asp
application?    I get the impression that the answers I'm reading are not
based on experience but on theory.

Cheers,
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia