XML is fine for small data sets, easy enough to parse and process using
Xpath (xmlSearch).

But for 5000, records I think a database would be better, it's quicker and
more robust, the XML model would be more appropriate for very small datasets
ie < 100 records perhaps.

With XML you have to read and parse all 5000 records every time you make and
addition or update. Ie:

1. Read all 5000 records from disk file
2. Parse all 5000 records
3. Modify XML object
4. Write all 5000 records to disk.

There are also security / locking considerations with this

Regards
Dale Fraser