Thank you all for your replies. I will indeed use a database, use a database, use a database. (It's half built anyway).

I just started thinking about XML because I was looking at my iTunes library file (which is XML) and it seemed like the same sort of structure as my doctors list - that is, it's all about one particular item (song/doctor) with lots of disparate properties.

Thanks,

Tom