I agree with your points, can you elaborate on what your workplace does to
achieve these three points.

   1. Make the workplace attractive,

Training, free lunch every day,  free gym, games room etc.

   2. Eliminate obstacles, and
Define obstacles?

   3. Provide benefits which are more valuable than the money they cost.

Free lunch is a good example its something google mastered, they found that with a free lunch workers were more likely to eat it at there desk and keep working.
now if the food is bought and served in bulk it would cost $5 per dev MAX
which works out something like $1200 per year (excluding public hols)
Now lets say the work place had..... 10 (for basic math example) workers, and the company put in place a pool table at $2k (which would be a 1 off payment), it would work out $200 per person for the first year, so ya could say for the first year these perks would cost $1400 then $1200 after

now say someone had a choice between a job paying $80k with free lunch and games room and one paying $85k without any perks many would go the $80k, I know I would anyway.
I know I'd spend more time eating/working at my desk then eating/not working away from my desk, so over a year it would be like I'm having 5 minute lunch breaks. ie a more productive worker.

now problem with the above is if its only a small company say a company that only had 10 workers then they would have to factor in the time involved in creating/serving that free lunch.
but for say company's with 200+ workers its no biggie

Of course these are things that look promising to someone outside the company like a possible new employee who is job hunting, but once within the company they might find there is workers there who are worried about there job security and to lame to move on and  are a big obstacle to genuine progress cos of there lame ass decisions (that effect everyone else) and make the work place dull, dead and lame, which is something management need to be careful of and always try and rationalize the motives behind an employees actions/decisions.

M@