> You have to remember its not just a matter of organising the meeting.  The
> guy from VTR hung around till like 9:30pm.  The organise a projector and
> everything for us.  Presenters make time to present, I chase down stuff to
> give away and the general organising of the event and when no one seems to
> take an interest then you start to think "well what's the point" which is
> exactly why the meetings dropped off in the first place.  How can the
> organiser be interested if no one else is?

To abuse another JFK quote: "We choose to go to the moon in this
decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because
they are hard."  How can anyone be interested if the organiser isn't?
That's just backwards thinking.  You're leading us.  Lead.

Or in another light: "Do you know how much effort I put into building
web sites?  How can I be excited about selling them to you if you're
not interested after I hold one presentation?"

> You have to look at it as more than just a meeting.  Its a bunch of geeks
> getting together to talk tech and talk [EMAIL PROTECTED] in general, as a
> group.

You're driving it, you detirmine how the group is protrayed.  In time,
it will develop its own culture, but the organizer will help determine
how it is branded.  If you say it is a bunch of geeks, then so be it.
You can describe it as you think it should be, or describe it as what
you think the target audience is looking for with the objective of
increasing the group size, your call.

> There is a lot of people out there in the community and I hope that we can
> band together so we can learn from each other and educate each other and
> everyone can benefit in some way.
>
> All we need is your input about topics and such to help the group grow and
> make it interesting for everyone.

My recommendation, try putting some newbie stuff on a hook and see who
bites.  The topics were all a bit foreign for me.  I have been deving
on the side since 4.1, but am not much more than a copy and paste hack
who can build a decent app with the fundamentals but am not interested
in breaking new ground.  Part of the issue may be the exclusionary
feel of a bunch of seasoned coders doing high-end stuff, making up and
comers feel dumb.

I have tinkered with asp and php and love the simplicity of CF and
have gotten a few others onto it, but it is all a bit daunting for
someone starting out.  I got a guy who may be intrested, but you guys
are light years beyond him.

You marketing seems to be focused on the niche of existing CF coders
in this group, Keep marketing into that, but try different flavours.
It is a bit of selling to choir.  What about spamming multimedia
studios?  Other local developer lists who may want to get the basics
on a new lanuage?  University students?

Look forward to hearing what you come up with!!!  Give us the plan and
specific tasks, and maybe you might get some takers.

Chad