"if it promises smoother and more standardised web service development."

Joel (and apologies to Jeremy for drifting further OT)...

I realise you're talking about server issues with erbservices (not
consuming them) but MS isn't without their webservice grief. it comes
down to MS thinking they know best when it comes to standards.

(don't you just  love standards? there's so many to choose from!)

here's just one example from the Flexcoders list:
http://www.mail-archive.com/flexcoders@yahoogroups.com/msg30801.html

but I'm sure others can chime in with having been caught out with
"nuiances" using .NET based webservices...