> How many of you are developing  sites in XHTML these days?

We don't unless there is a specific reason we need content in XML.

> Is it worth the extra effort?

Not for it's own sake. IMHO aiming for valid HTML 4.01 is the best bet.

- As someone else pointed out - XHTML served as text/html gets parsed
as tag soup anyway. So your browser is ignoring the fact that it is
XML.
- Invalid XHTML/XML will make verity (almost) silently barf. This is
one example of how broken XHTML is far more dangerous than broken HTML
- SEO doesn't come into it to it. Any major spider will parse anything
that it out there in enough volume.
- I think the W3C HTML working group has lost the plot. XHTML 2 is
never going to go main stream, so XHTML could well be a dead end. Have
a look at whatwg.org and HTML5 instead - I think it's much more likely
to succeed.

Cheers

Mark