> XHTML is better yet again because of the increased
> signal-to-noise ratio.

Rubbish!

One thing that often gets incorrectly assumed is:

XHTML = clean semantic markup
HTML = lots of redundant nested tables & other crap

By looking at the source of 100 random sites you might see this
pattern emerging, but it is not a hard & fast rule.

I can write HTML 4.01 code that is just as clean and semantic as any
XHTML out there. Conversely I could write any sort of rubbish I want,
make sure I put /> at the end of my image tags and then slap on an
XHTML DTD.

The charter for XHTML was exactly that - take the precise semantics of
HTML 4.01 and make it XML compliant. So XHTML and HTML 4.01 are
semantically identical.

The fact that we have a history of people writing crap HTML and that
the people who go to the trouble of putting an XHTML doc type on their
files generally care more about there mark up is irrelevant.

--
Mark Stanton
Gruden Pty Ltd