Hi Adam,

A very handy tool you could try is SoupUI (www.soapui.org). We use it at
work to run test suites against our Java web services. You point it at the
WSDL, it can generate a default request where you fill in the blanks and hit
send. What you get back is the actual SOAP envelope with all the XML you
will ever need :-) Well worth checking out if you are working with web
services and just a simple request/response to deal with. There is even an
Eclipse plug in for it!

When you have the SOAP response, you can decide if you need to send XML or
if the native type will be consumable from .net. It will even validate it
for you!

Hope this helps.
Shane