Now sure how far this goes to answering the original question, but
there's a little-used feature fo CFMAIL that allows you to get some
error handling from CFMAIL that Lucas Sherwood described in his
presentation to WebDU last year.

You can use  the attibute spoolenable="no" in the CFMAIL tag to
trigger an error in the event your email is not delivered to the mail
server.  This does not give you an error if the email is a valid email
but the recipient doesnt exist, but it does throw an error for lots of
other reasons which you can trap.

If you put your CFMAIL tag inside a TRY/Catch set you can trap teh
error and display it or put it in a database or even email it to
youself.

(Thanks Lucas for another gem!)

Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month