this thread didn't really go where I hoped... Angus Johnson and Andrew
Muller got closest (thanx guys)

(and it looks like it's degraded into the typical off-topic slanging
match that [many people] are well and truly over)

so before it collapses into a steaming pile of poo... Getting back to
Flex and CF (especially since Flex is for front-end UI's and CF is a
server technology)

 - HTML is as good as dead! well, not really but if you're working on
a webapp using far too much DHTML (if it's got tabs and child windows)
it'll be as good as redundant and old fashioned in 12 months time. If
the company you're working for has no strategy for Flex and will
persevere with the same tired old HTML, beat the rush and get out now
(IMHO)

 - AJAX is dead (as above). Except in particular situations why bother
when Flex will do it all? (http://developerdispatch.com/?p=253 "Why
ActionScript 3.0 Changes Everything")

- Accessibility enhancements (especially with screenreaders like JAWS)
has just taken a back-seat. MACR were making good in-roads in this
area but still had a way to go. If it's left to the community to
drive, it won't get any further. it's just not sexy enough or bring in
the revenue to justify continued development. It's like rural
pay-phones: needs subsidy from other profitable areas. (Lets face it,
AJAX is NOT accessible anyway)

- The best IDE we can ever hope for will be no better than
FlexBuilder. I was heaps more productive with VB6 than I will ever be
with an Eclipse-based IDE. I'd rather have one tool that did it all
100% well than have to juggle a bunch of plug-ins, each working 80%
well and each having their own quirks (mark this down to personal
preference, I suppose).

two more points:

I've mentioned this at CFUG's but it's worth repeating:
 - it's now time for CF'ers to step up to the mark on application
design (and this means upskilling from their HTML-based
request/response mindset). Who understands more about  application
development, networking, security, robustness and load, et al: a CF
programmer or a Flash designer?

finally:
 - one aspect of the community involvement that worries me is the
dividing line on who does what - buck passing. An example - CFEclipse:
you'd think that the CF dictionary definitions for it would come from
Adobe, but no, it's expected that that the community will provide.
Why? And CF is a cash cow for Adobe?

eh, my 2c only. your mileage may vary.
barry.b

PS:
Mike Chambers a cfaussie member? that's news to me.
I'm not knocking this, just surprised he's at all interested in a
bunch of CF'ers on the other side of the world...