Peter, if you're "yes it can" is about the close of browser triggering
onsession end, I really don't think so. Like Andrew says, the session
variables remain in memory until timed out or forcibly removed, or upon a
restart. It's just that the "ticket" held by the browser pointing to that
session in memory is removed. When using J2EE sessions, CF changed from
using a long-expiring CFID/CFTOKEN cookie to instead using a non-persistent
(in browser memory-only) cookie called jsessionid. Being memory only, it
therefore is removed from memory when the browser closes---that is, assuming
no other instance of the browser is open holding the same cookie.

All these are things I explain in more detail in an article I did in the
CFDJ back in July 2002: http://cfdj.sys-con.com/read/41646.htm (discussed in
the final section), and the point about browser instances is elborated upon
in a blog entry I did around the same time, at
http://cfmxplus.blogspot.com/2002/06/j2ee-session-variables-i-mentioned-in.h
tml. What I say there about Netscape is so for FireFox. As to whether what I
said about IE (then 5 or 6) is still true in 7, I can't say (not yet running
it.)

For the sake of consistency, I should also correct two points Andrew made,
when he said closing the browser "will however assign a new session id via
CFID & CFToken". There are two problems there: first, again, when using J2EE
sessions those cookies are no longer used for session management (though
they will still be used for client variables, which is indeed why they are
so long-lasting). Anyway, even then it's not that a new jsessionID cookie
would be "assigned" on browser close but rather a new value would be
assigned (new cookie created) on the next request from that browser when it
hit the CF app.

Not trying to be a tall poppy. Just saw this bug discussion blow up and
thought I'd check in on it. These two points seemed worth clarifying. It is
an area of continued confusion.

/Charlie
http://www.carehart.org/    <http://www.carehart.org/images/ace.gif>

  _____