LiveCycle is a product that is an enterprise product.  It's purpose is
to take the programmatic aspects of PDFs (amongst other things) and
incorporate business rules, work flow, design and automate many of the
day-to-day business functions.

To make a sale to (say) a medium size organisation requires quite a
lot of understanding of their business processes and rules,  (there's
some expertise required there - work study, knowledge of accounting
procedures and audit trails etc),   then the ticket price of a sale is
typically far more than an average web site (whatever that is)  -
sales of $200,000 or more would be normal for LiveCycle and that
requires knowlege of how to sell major deals - not quite a
'send-them-a-quote-and-see-if-they-accept" process.

Then once the sale is made, there's quite a lot of work implementing
LiveCycle in the customer organisation.  It requires support people,
programming people, designers, etc.   It cuts no ice with Adobe that I
might actually have all those skills from 25 years in the business
forms business, consultancy work, major accounts and government
accounts sales, managemnent of corporate state organisations and
running an export business.   They still wont entertain my having
anything to do with LiveCycle (except as a customer) unless i work
through the two companies that have it all stitched up.

I rather get the idea that Adobe dont quite know how to market
LiveCycle yet.  For that reason they can't see that there are other
people who have been around that business since the 1980s.  Australia
has been at teh forefront of electronic forms for decades - far ahead
of technology in the USA, but its' no use telling Americans that
Australians might be in advance of them.    Substantial parts of
LiveCycle's antecedents were developed right here in Sydney during the
1980s and 1990s.

For an example of Adobe's approach to LiveCycle: (I'm paraphrasing a
half-hour conversation here):

Me:   "...so can i see a demo copy or a eval copy or some kind of
documentation so i can bring myself up to date with what's new in the
product since i last worked with its predecessors?"

Adobe:  "well no not really.   Unless you are going to work with <x
company> or <y company> we wont be able to do anything ot help you."

Me: "but that would mean introducing my clients to my competitors -
giving them the names, details of the tasks everything to a
substantial part of the deal - all the after-sales stuff and quite a
bit of the pre-sales stuff too"

Adobe: "thats how it is.  Take it or leave it."

So i decided that even though I konw how to sell that product, I know
how it works and where the opportunities are, there's no point in
busting my guts to make a deal only to have a competitor go in to my
client and take the business away. (I know the individuals concerned
and that's what they would do.)

So ..  as i said.  by all means look at it from the point of view of a
user/customer/client  but if you think a $200,000 sale with another
$200,000 or more in on-going services revenue is a good business
proposition - forget it.  they arent going to let you do it.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month