From: cfaussie@googlegroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Mike Kear
Sent: Monday, 1 October 2007 10:27 PM
To: cfaussie@googlegroups.com
Subject: [cfaussie] Re: MSSQL 2005 Developer Edition

For my case (and i might add for most of my hosting clients too) that pretty
well sums is up.

If we have a site on a shared hosting box,  we have two basic needs - we
need to copy the data from the remote site to our local machines, both for
backup of the backup and also so when we're doing development work so that
we're working on realistic data.

Also there are other sites where the opposite is required. - databases are
changed locally, or CMS work is done locally, then the database is copied up
to the live site to 'publish' the new version of the site.

I've been transferring whole databases up till now - changed or not, but to
just be abel to transfer the things that have changed would be
far better if that can be done.   I know the replication does that,
but you can only get access to replication if you have DB Server Admin
rights.

once I could do all that automatically using scheduled jobs in
SQLServer2000, now thanks to the 'improved' SSIS, it doesnt work and it all
has to be done manually.

If you could get someone to help sort out what i'm doing wrong, or help me
find a way to do it automatically again,  I'll love ya!!
And there will be lots of people with shared hosting who'll love ya too,
since we can never get DB Server Administrator access to the
boxes.   The highest privileges we can get is DB Owner.   This is not
just me on my system,  but most shared hosting environments, that I've had
experience with.

Thanks for your interest Scott.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
Adobe Certified Advanced ColdFusion Developer AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from
AUD$15/month

On 10/1/07, Scott Barnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ok,
>
> Tracking down some of the folks within Microsoft to get some sort fo
> understanding around this. It's important to me that you guys get a
> response from this as it sounds like a legitatmite beef. I'm just
> hoping it's a case of "not understading the full features/services of
> the said product"... I'm no SQL guy, thus I ring in some of our MVP's
> but leave it with me and I'll track some braintrusts down in redmond to
give some responses to this.

> As for Andrew & I? *shrug* didn't think it was a cross fire more of
> friendly jabs heh :P.
>
> Essentially the situation is for you guys (to distill this down) is
> that you're hosting databases on either dedicated or shared hosting,
> you want the ability to suck your own data back to base, in an easy
> fashion that can be scheduled. This does not involve an FTP events
> calendar approach but a direct packaged approach *much like if you
> were to remotely DTS in, get the schema, suck down the schema first
> and then suck down the data within the schema - but only the bits that
> have changed maybe?*
>

> On 10/1/07, Mike Kear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > I dont want to join the acrimonious cross fire between Scott and
> > Andrew,
> but I will add that since SQLS005, it's been a big problem for me to
> backup and publish my databases.
> >
> > In the previous version, SQL2000, I had my dev server automatically
> running DTS jobs every night, to copy some databases to my local dev
machine
> and so to send live some databases.   It was quick and happened
> automatically.  Correctly, reliably, every time.   Unattended.
> >

> > Then they "Improved' the product and SQL2005 dropped the DTS. They
> invented the "much better" SSIS instead.    (Yes I know you can use
existing
> DTS packets but you can't make new ones) .   Now it takes me  about half
an
> hour to MANUALLY backup or publish every database.  I have made
> numerous attempts to schedule a task to download a remote database over
TCP/IP and it