you may already know this but just in case:

I'm thinking it might be worthwhile turning on the debugging on the
server to specifically looking for

"Database Activity"
"Select this check box to show the database activity for the SQL Query
events and Stored Procedure events in the debugging output. "

to see if there's lots of little queries being called one after
another or duplication of queries that could be refactored.

and while you're there:

"Report Execution Times"
"Highlight templates taking longer than the following (ms) XXX"

to show (in the debugging output in red) the pages that take too long.
this may help pin-point where to look for problems.

this is under Debugging & Logging  -> Debugging Settings  in the
ColdFusion administrator

hope this helps. Let us know how you're coming alone with tracking it
down?

good luck