How does the Flex vs CF groups compare numbers wise?

Regards
Dale Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: cfaussie@googlegroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Barry Beattie
Sent: Thursday, 24 April 2008 10:04 PM
To: cfaussie@googlegroups.com
Subject: [cfaussie] Re: Who is working for whom in Sydney, and are they
looking for new people?

>  I think that this should happen in Vic also.

every area is different, it comes down to what the users want:

a story:

in the latter half of 2006, Brisbane found itself faced with a
situation where lots of Flex and AIR interest was "infiltrating" the
multimedia-based user group (QMUG) and the CFUG. While the multimedia
(Dw,Ps, Pr, Ae,Fl, Dr, etc) one wasn't the best to dive into the
details of Actionscript coding, the CFUG too (while it had commonality
with application design) also wasn't the best fit. This was judged at
the time by the UG managers and the more proactive members across the
origional two groups (each group having long histories of 7+ years)

This is why Richard Turner-Jones and I took the chance to juggle
things to create a third - a "FlashPlatform" one. Fast forward to
today where we have more ASP.NET and PHP coders interested in Flex and
AIR than CFUG'ers.

sure it's hard work having three groups. and attendances could always
be better (it was a risk to split the audience, effectively forcing
members to attend potentially two groups a month) but it now gives the
freedome for the CFUG to persue LiveCycle and application development
practices, the QMUG to concentrate on new digital media the
FlashPlatform group to ride the Flex and AIR wave.

the .NET and PHP membership of the FlashPlatform group is an attempt
to reach out to a wider community - in much the same way that was
suggested in that war'n'peace thread here a short while ago.

most of us here have a huge investment in the Adobe Technology stack,
and we'd like to know our investment is in good hands. As part of the
Adobe "environment" we're faced with twin challenges of a lot of width
(from design tools to enterprise server products) and an immature
company still finding it's feet**.

three user groups in one city the size of Brisbane is a gamble, sure.
but until there's a groundswell of large numbers of proactive members
suggest otherwise and willing to roll up the sleeves, it's an
experiment we're prepared to run a bit longer.

but your milage may vary...
eh my 2c.
barry.b

** I stand by this statement: sure Adobe has been around for years,
but this is now Adobe Mk2, and the dust has yet to settle fully. Good
omlettes still need to break eggs.