totally honest answer?

occasionally it's very good (over two doz), but most of the time, it's
poor - for both. On those poor occasions, add both together and it'd
be up to good.

but there's the problem - throw the Flex stuff in with the CF and the
.Net and PHP'ers would wonder why they were there.

but the really important number is, to be honest, the number of active
members - people willing to put up their hand, or make suggestions and
then follow through, or even religiously turning up. and those
particular numbers are very poor. in all honesty.

I suspect that it's just Brisbane but it has to be a special event -
something they're particularly interested in - for bulk people to
bother.

and in a way it's like kids sport on the weekend. Some parents throw
the kids out the car as they try to escape as fast as they can, while
others are always at the oval volunteering as goal umpires,
timekeeper, linesmen or water carriers. Our little AFL team couldn't
play this season without a manager - the wife volunteered eventually,
the only one that bothered replying to the coach's email.

the place I'm just about to finish up at - half a dozen CF'ers - not
one has been to a CFUG, not one has heard of WebDU (that's a story in
itself). I asked one today how they kept their ProfDev up, kept their
skills current.... basically they don't. Because there;s been loose
talk about using a framework at the place, I sent them a link to
Mandel's Transfer Breezo tomorrow (2.00pm, BTW - check his site). I
don't think they've seen a Connect presentation either. People on this
list have (generally, gut feeling) so much more current skill than a
lot of CF'ers who aren't on this list. Forgvie me for stating the
obvious but staying still is actually going backwards - there's such a
thing as progress, ready to send the unwary the same direction as
COBOL programmers.

here endith the sermon.