if you want to test it out, do some load testing with Jmeter, there's
a quck start on my blog
http://zacster.blogspot.com/2008/03/quick-howto-to-setup-jmeter.html

it's perversely fun to break things with load testing :)

anything which is data intensive can always be sped up with caching or
pre-cooking using
Materialized views which i think are called Indexed views in SQL Server