thanx for the replies, guys. At least it helps lift some fog...

so far ....

it happens on both CF8 and CF7 (I'm using 7)
it happens occasionally
it happens for no specific reason.

oh goodie. needle in a hay stack time.

I'm surviving by clearing the template cache for now (but heaven help
anyone else working on the same box).

It can't be an IIS caching issue, can it? While it throws the old
error message, the new code is what's displayed - which implies that
CF is controlling this all...

I really dislike working on shared dev boxes ... it's just asking for
trouble...