Hi Dale,

Looking at what you are trying to do, it looks like you want to add a
prompt to the combo box.

With in Flex you have the "prompt" attribute on the <mx:ComboBox> tag
which can do this, so would mean you don't need to worry about adding
the extra row to the Query.

EG:

<mx:ComboBox
        prompt="--- Please Select a Value"

</mx:ComboBox>

The value will display when nothing is selected, and that option will
disappear when a value is selected.

My apologies if someone has already told you this, but I hope it
helps!

Cheers,

David