Hi,
Hope you get some great answers. I need to do this myself with a few other
developers here.

Version control as you have found, is as much about the process of using it as
it is as having a repository. It is the process part that undoes me.

>>> Matthew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 26/09/2008 9:25 am >>>

Hi everyone,

Setup: Windows environment, IIS, CF7, Eclipse

I'm looking to apply version control to a website I'm working on and
would appreciate any recommendations on how best to set everything up
in regards to version control + CF coding.

If you can't be bothered to ready the long winded post below than a
snapshot of your version control + CF dev setup would be helpful e.g.
when do you tag, branch etc and how do you get versions live to
production?

Question: I've install Subversion etc and am at the point where I've
got a repository setup on a shared server with a fresh copy of the
website code "as of today" in the trunk and I've tagged it as version
1.0. I've then checked it out (should I checkout the tag or the trunk
by the way?) and all works perfectly ready to start / edit code.
However I'm looking for advice on when to branch / tag? The added
complication is that I'm often working on multiple projects involving
this one website (e.g. whilst waiting for QA testing on one project or
waiting on resources etc) so how do you tackle this?

Perhaps some examples will help:
One of my current tasks is to migrate the website from MySql to Sql
Server. All the database work has been done so all I need to do now is
modify several queries throughout the website. In this instance would
you create a branch (v1.0.1) from the tag (v1.0) and checkout this new
branch? I've tried this and checkout out branch 1.0.1 into a new
Eclipse project but this of course has created a new directory and
therefore my development environment doesn't point at this project
folder. So would you reconfigure CF, IIS etc to all point to this new
folder whilst working on this branch?
Lets say in a few days time this branch is ready to go and is with the
QA department and I want to crack on with another project for this
website so would I create branch v1.0.2 and check this out into
another Eclipse project and therefore have to reconfigure all my dev
environment settings? Lets say v1.0.2 is approved before v1.0.1 so
would you pust v1.0.2 live to production server and the merge v1.0.1
and v1.0.2 into v1.0.3 in order to get v1.0.1 changes live?

Perhaps this example of working on 2 or more projects is a little
unusual so lets try a more common scenario: lets say you've got a team
of 3 developers. Each developer is assigned a project so would you
create 3 branches (one for each)? They go off and program away
(checking in their code to the trunk each night) and the first one
comes back and is finished. So you test etc and then are ready to live
so would you tag his branched version as v1.0.1 at this point? Then
developer 2 finishes so you test etc and are ready to go live so would
you checkout the tagged version v1.0.1, merge in his branch, test
again and than tag the combined version as v1.0.2?

A few other questions;
- I assume that the Repo administrator would be in charge of creating
branches / tags etc? The developers are just told the name of the
branch that they should checkout and instruct them to checkin their
changes to the trunk each night?
- How do you get a stable version (or "tagged" version) live to the
production server?!?!? Do you simple checkout a tagged version and
then FTP it up to the production server?

Cheers
Matthew