Sure, $5K is a significant investment depending on your circumstances.

But are you saying that the annual maintenance fee for CF is 90% of the
purchase price? As in, CFENT costs $5,555 up front and $5,000 for maintenance
annually? That would a bit over the top in my book. Or maybe it is 90% of the
upgrade price? I think that would be more likely and in which case I'd say
'place your bets!'. In reality the maintenance plans are aimed at the corporate
end of the market where they prefer to pay an annual fee rather than have to go
through the whole purchase process each time a new version of CF is released.

But I'm sure there are whole fields of study devoted to the question of how to
build a sustainable business around writing software. And at the top of the
list in terms of difficulty is to build a business around a software product
(or products). If the initial investment to write the damn thing doesn't do you
in, the ongoing support and maintenance probably will, and finding a way to
entice your clients to part with more money to pay for that support and
maintenance the hardest job of all.

B)

--
Brett Payne-Rhodes