@Steve, Thanks for the response but I don't think you've understood me
correctly. I'll try to explain myself again.

Perhaps there is a CF web service guru out there that can help?

When building a web service, should the input arguments be a single
XML document (which defines the input parameters) or should you just
have an argument for each parameter. Or are both options acceptable?
It makes more sense to me to have a argument for each parameter
otherwise if you have an XML doc as the input you have to write your
own XML parser / validator. This is all built right into CF when you
choose access="remote".

I've been doing a little more reading and noted that you can
distribute your web service as an RPC (default in CF) or as "document-
literal style". I think the RPC system is the way I've been discussing
and the "document-literal style" option is the alternative where you
pass in a full XML document. Is RPC easier but compatible with fewer
technologies?

Cheers
Matthew