Perhaps the answer is to provide 2 web service interfaces - one for
XML consumers and the other for SOAP consumers. If you build the XML
version first it shouldn't be that hard to build a SOAP version as
well... as long as the web service's have absolutely no business logic
in them. The SOAP web service CFC would have inputs parameters and
forward everything onto a service object. The XML web service CFC
would be a little more complicated because it would have all the XML
parsing, validating etc and then forward the request onto the same
service object.

Cheers
Matthew