On Nov 24, 11:58 pm, "Steve Onnis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> REReplaceNoCase(string, "<a([^(href)]*) (href="")([^""]*)("")>([^<]*)</a>",
> "\3", "ALL");

Hi Steve.
I'm not sure this bit is right:

[^(href)]

That matches any single character that is not "(", "h", "r", "e", "f"
or ")".  square brackets mean "match a single character".  One cannot
stick parentheses in there to match a sequence (or in your attempt,
*not* match a sequence).

I think Robin's example is fine, but I'd perhaps augment it to make
sure the href is within an anchor tag (as opposed to in a link tag,
for example):

<a\s[^>]*?href\s*?=\s*?([""'])([^\1]*?)\1[^>]*?>

Of course it depends on the source string as to whether this is
necessary.  If it's already just going to be solely the anchor tag and
its contents, there's no need for this.  However if one is parsing a
longer string holding an HTML document, this might be a safer way of
doing it.

To Dale: CF's regexes aren't that much different from JavaScript and
Perl ones, and the main differences are less-commonly-used features in
my experience (coming from CF, they're "less-commonly-used" because CF
doesn't support 'em ;-).  It's rare that when I need to look one up
that it won't work on CF.  Obviously your experience varies here,
which surprises me.

I would make a point of using regexes as much as possible.  Whenever
one finds oneself thinking that perhaps to process a string one might
need to loop over it; a regex find / replace is almost always going to
be another possible option to consider.  And they do seem a bit
impenetrable at first, but with only a superficial amount of
practise / repetition, the muddy waters start to clear.

I find this site a useful resource for explanations how various regex
expressions work: http://www.regular-expressions.info/tutorial.html

Oh, and Robin: cheers for the heads-up re that Eclipse plug-in.  I
also use regex coach: http://www.weitz.de/regex-coach/

--
Adam