Claude it looks exactly the same set up as we have.    For our system,
you ahve to have you CFMAIL tag looking like this (and it'll probably
be the same for you):

<cfmail   to="clients email address"
             from="Mike Kear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>"    <--- i.e.
some valid email address on this domain
             replyto="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"    <--- an address (any
address) where i want the client's replies to go to
             subject="[AFP Webworks]  the subject of the email"
            server="mail.afpwebworks.com"
            username="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"  <--- not the real one -
but its part of the authentication
            password="password" >

blah blah blah
</cfmail>

All these parameters are required as a minimum to send CFMAIL from our
servers.    The username and password must be a valid pair of
authentication values for an email account on our server.   The FROM
or the TO email address must be a valid email address on our server
(but need not be the same as the one used for authentication)

In this way, i can have the web site generate emails sent to me,  but
coming "from" the client, so just hitting reply sends my reply to
them.

>From what you describe, i feel sure yours are set up the same way.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month