AH!  Ok i see what the difference is.  You're giving it a string, not
a date object.   That's where I was falling over - i was trying ot
give it a date object,  and of course you can't create an invalid date
object.

So createdate was throwing an error before it even got to the
validation function.

Thanks.

But the try/catch works too :)

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month