Just watched an interesting, and my first video
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AusOPz8Ww80) on what's happening with HTML5.
>From what I have seen in the past, HTML5 has been in the works for a long
time and from what I can see now it will still be a while before it is
officially released even though a few browsers are starting to implement
some of the functionality now.  It was interesting to see they are doing a
lot of work around asynchronous sending and receiving of data, 2D/3D
rendering, offline data storage, native video embedding with the <video> tag
and and some other cool stuff that will certainly make developing websites a
lot more interesting.  I couldn't help but think though while I was watching
it was that you can do all this stuff in FLEX and FLASH and using Blaze or
LifeCycle so I put to you....which would you rather? Develop with FLEX or
utilise HTML5 ?  Considering the uptake of the "average" internet user
actually upgrading their browsers I can't really see a great opportunity to
be able to utilise the additional features and functionality that will come
with HTML5 where as the uptake of the FLASH plug-in already has the
penetration and the flexibility and customisation of FLEX and FLASH is heaps
better than what I could see the HTML5 components being.

The way I see it, HTML5 is like a new road, but you are saying to people
they have to buy a new car to drive on it (yes I know the browsers are
free), and to a lot of users, computers are like cars, as long as it goes
and they put fuel in it they don't care and I see the same thing with
browsers. I wouldn't think the average user would consciously upgrade their
browsers which is why we still have XP users running IE6....it works and
that's all they are worried about.

- What are your thoughts?
- How "sellable" is HTML5 to clients?
- Can you justify saying to your client "Hey we can do this really cool
stuff but ANYONE who wants to use it will have to upgrade their browser."
- Is HTML5 just going to create a new generation of hacks and work arounds
to utilise new features and still retain backwards compatibility?
- Do you think that the time being spent on HTML5 would be better spent
getting everyone to implement the HTML4 standards more consistently?

Food for thought

Steve