Today I thought I would log into my twitter account after 7 months mind you
and have a look around again thinking "maybe" I can put it to some use (jury
is still out on that one), but while I was in there I noticed in the right
hand column under "Trending topics" I noticed a topic names "IE6 Must die".
Being human and curious by nature I thought I would check it out and noticed
some interesting comments like "IE6 must die for the web to move on" and "I
spent days trying to get sites looking vaguely similar in IE6 to Firefox. IE
IS EVIL! ".

I guess my question is, should IE6 die? Is IE really evil? I hear a lot of
talk about how Microsoft browsers don't adhere to W3C standards and
developing for IE is such a pain and FireFox is a much better browser.  How
much time do you really spend checking cross browser compatibility?  Is it
really worth it?  In my experience, I would say not a great deal.  If you
stick to the standards I have found that you end up just tweaking the CSS a
little and most of if is because of positioning issues.  That said, this
sort of issue is not only related to the IE browsers or IE6 specifically.
MAC in general are a pain because of the way they render fonts and have
there own style of "classic" fonts like Arial and so on. Issues like that
cause problems with padding and spacing, especially if you are looking for a
pixel perfect layout.  At least with IE browsers you can use the IF/ELSE
technique to include specific CSS files to target specific versions of the
browser.

There are CSS hacks for everything now, and honestly I don't think you need
them as long as you stick to simple standards code.  A lot can be achieved
if you do this without having to sacrifice functionality or compatibility
for the plethora of browsers available.

In the end, every browser, new and old has their quirks and to point the
finger and at one browser is unfair if not unjust.

Steve