Steve take a look at CFFM.   It's a file editor that integrates with
inline editors like TinyMCE, FCKEditor and the new CKEditor or it can
stand alone.

It is a file browser, so you can create/delete/rename directories,
upload/delete/rename files,  and if they are images, you can modify
the images -  crop, rotate, resize,  distort, add watermarks etc.
The image editing lets you see what you're doing and get the image how
 you want it before you decide to either commit the changes or discard
them and revert to the original state.

You can add a header and/or a footer file to make it integrate tightly
with your own look and feel and add your own menus etc.    The current
version,  v1.30 has ajax too so that when you mouse over an image
filename in the directory listing, you get a thumbnail popping up so
you can see what the image is.

Check it out, I think it will give you what you're looking for.  It's
written by Rick Root who's on CF-Talk if you need help with anything.
  I just installed the lastest vers1.30 in my new version of my CMS
and it just worked.  Out of the zip file,  a little bit of configuring
in a config file and everything works, just like that.  A smart guy
like you should get it up and going inside a couple of hours.   SInce
it's open source, the value is excellent.

Disclaimer:  I dont have any part in it, apart from relying on it for
the last year or so for my CMS.    You can get it from
http://www.opensourcecf.com.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month