Weird, I got no idea about that. Perhaps cfmail is being called when there
is an error on the server? If the error was a timeout and your cferror page
sent the email, it may turn up as being the culprit.

Timeout in object initialisation could very well be the cause of your error.
Especially if a Java object connecting to a webservice on initialisation is
involved.