It's really all about the css
you'll have to make very few changes to your CF, a few changes to your
page layout, and start from scratch with the stylesheets.

the w3c mobile validator <http://validator.w3.org/mobile/> is useful
(you'll never get to 100% ok, but i brought a site from 0 to 80% OK in a
day.
i've found the introductory stuff at mobiforge
<http://mobiforge.com/Starting> pretty helpful

the biggest surprise for me was that the newer smartphones (iPhone and
android among others) don't respect @handheld stylesheets.  so we're
back to browser sniffing to decide what content to deliver to which
sized devices.  your first decision will be how many subsets of "mobile
device" you're going to support.

hope that helps.
asdwer