I couldn't agree more, it's best to keep things separate. In a CF project with
Flex client, I would always setup at least two projects: for the server and for
the client app. Tie the server project to my local CF dev server with a local
apache or CF's dev http server and run it. I would strongly suggest that you
actually create an ant build script as Robin has suggested, that makes your
life much easier for large and potentially modularised projects but also when
it comes to clean up old builds etc.

Additionally to that - I'm not a big fan of using Flex or Flash Builders
built-in management of server paths etc. That pretty much compiles a whole lot
of stuff into your swf and _can_ make your deployment reasonably inflexible.
It's nicer to create all the remoting setting dynamically in your Flex app, but
I have to say that it's pretty hard and badly documented for a beginner to
follow down that path.

Cheers
Kai

--
Kai Koenig - Ventego Creative Ltd
ph: +64 4 476 6781 - mob: +64 21 928 365 /  +61 450 132 117