On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Steve Onnis <st...@cfcentral.com.au> wrote:
> Yeah $80 is low and when you are dealing with recruitment agencies you would
> be extremely hard pressed to get anything over $80-85 an hour around here.

Ah, yes, they'd take quite a margin, I'm sure.

> Subcontracting yourself yeah you  might be able to push the envelope a
> little and maybe stretch it out to $110-120 an hour but even that is
> extremely rare from my experience, mainly because of the industry and
> companies just don't want to pay that sort of money for a contractor for
> general web development services.

Thanx for confirming that. Sounds like rates vary quite a lot by
region then and Oz rates are lower than US rates which are lower than
European rates (but then the cost of living in the US is lower than in
Europe - maybe the cost of living is lower in Oz than the US?).

I know from working with Railo Consulting that we have to offer
different rates in different regions because of these sorts of
considerations.

One comment I got from a local agency back when I was freelance was
that my rate was "much, much higher" than the PHP developers they
dealt with - but they checked the market and came back and said "OK,
it seems CF developers get paid a lot more than PHP developers". How
do Oz rates for CFers compare with web dev rates for other
technologies?
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://getrailo.com/