On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 5:42 PM, Ricardo Russon
<ricardo.rus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone done any work on reducing the footprint of CF?

I could be flippant and say: use Railo - it has a much smaller memory
footprint. Sorry, couldn't resist! :)

> Our Admin, Carl, has been doing some work on CF memory management.
> Mainly Garbage Collection.
> (He will be presenting his findings at our next CFUG if anyone is interested)

I'd love to see this preso. JVM tuning is a real black art and there
is always room for good presentations on this area of working with
Java technology. When I was at Macromedia, we were constantly tweaking
the JVM settings to improve the stability of macromedia.com. Every
time we launched a new application, we had to go back through load
testing and re-tuning the site because every change in the application
composition could cause changes in the memory behavior of the site
under load.

> He has started playing with reducing CF's base memory usage by
> removing unneeded jar files from CF/lib/ and seeing how that is
> impacting things on startup. So far things seem to be going well, and
> there have been some significant improvements.

That really surprises me. Which version of Adobe ColdFusion are you
working with? CF9 improved start up times dramatically (by deferring
initialization of some subsystems until post-launch, I think -
certainly the server is able to respond to requests much sooner after
startup).

> The question is: what can we safely remove?

Much is going to depend on what CFML features your application uses.
It sounds a rather dangerous approach to me.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://getrailo.com/

-- Margaret Atwood