Barry, do you mean using CFCONTENT from within CFML? If so, then besides what
the
others have said, I'll clarify that you need to be concerned not only with "a
limited
number of http connections that can be made to a server", if by that you meant
the web
server, but also tying up CF threads (the "simultaneous request threads"
setting in
the CF Admin). Each request that starts a CFCONTENT will tie up one of these
threads
while the request is serving content.

Given that the default number of threads (which varies in Multiserver
deployments and
Server/Standard deployments) or whatever you may have changed them to be, it
may or
may not be an issue tying up threads this way. The best way to tell is to use a
tool
like FusionReactor or SeeFusion, which can show what requests are running at
any time
(and for how long) on CF 6, 7, 8, or 9. You can also see it with the CF Server
Monitor, if you have CF 8 or 9 Enterprise, and as long as you use its "start
monitoring" button.

Tying up one or a few threads this way for even minutes may not be the end of
the
world, but if something happens where you get a bump in activity (or some other
cause
of slowdowns), then every request thread can become precious. Note as well that
the
speed with which these downloads will finish is dependent on your clients doing
the
downloading, which adds more challenge to how best to accommodate this
situation.

/charlie arehart
char...@carehart.org
Providing CF and CFBuilder troubleshooting services
at http://www.carehart.org/consulting