Hi Gav, to quote Sean 'it depends'.

I think it's reasonable to have an Application cfc/cfm, say for example to
enforce a security model, load a framework, etc. But it's totally possible to
develop one or more services that stand alone and don't need to depend on
anything like the application scope.

Note: when you say service, I think of soap, rest, http, XML...

I think Robin could chime in here because "service" is a pretty broad term and
this might deserve a Galaxy specific answer. From the little I understand,
Galaxy seem to use the term "service" as a piece of code to wrap and access an
existing application (?).

Sent from my iPhone