@Mark

I usually mention this in the Melbourne CFUG so they know my stance...
having the right skills (OOP, proper relational tables,etc etc) is
sufficient, coldfusion should be mentioned as a secondary and not a
requirement at all, you should be able to teach even a fresh grad the
syntax within 1-3 months. Having the right mindset and base skills is
far more important IMHO, CF is probably one of the easiest languages
to pick up...

@Brian

Short and long is relative... really depends on how short... as Eliseo
pointed out, contractors have to factor in their leave, sick days,
super at the very least... I would say 75 per hour is reasonable for
an experienced dev (has proven development cred and assuming roughly 6
months experience) and then multiply by niche skills or a high skill
requirement...