I realise this is a CF mailing list…

But as far another language to learn goes...
I am not finding it too bad, actually.
But then again - I don't have any "real" Java experience to unlearn - and
apply the Scala way to, either.
And… I am far from being a "naturally-gifted" application developer - but I
am finding the learning curve - to the basics at least - relatively easy
going.

Recently, in the ColdFusion world - I have managed to get a a really good
handle on ColdSpring (Dependency Injection and am starting to do some real
work with AOP too) and thanks to CF's ORM implementation a relatively good
exposure to Hibernate too.

Perhaps they were good "primers" to get me in the right head-space to start
with?
I don't know, for certain of course, I am really just guessing!

Definitely, Functional Programming is doing my head in - (but I honestly
dot "get" closures either) - so that isn't a surprise to me!
For the time being I am just using the OOP side of things, anyway.

There are few things I REALLY like about Scala.
 * It rungs on the JVM - so you can use Java libraries natively, just like
we already do in the CF world.
 * You can run Scala code as a script - for testing Scala expressions,
without the requirements to compile / re-compile.

 * The Play framework is a really nice conventions based MVC framework for
creating web applications.
 * Play also has a dynamic rebuild - so you don't need to recompile,
manually, every time you want to test a change.

 * Lastly Akka - which is the "Actors" model framework - takes away the
headache of concurrency / (threads / locking) etc from the developer.

It just turns out to be a really nice "stack" to work with.