>my $new_cookie = $self->header_props(-name=>COOKIE,
-value=>$session->id);
>  $self->header_props(-cookie=>$new_cookie);
> }

$new_cookie is not returned from the header(), it is returned from the
CGI.pm's
cookie() method. First you create PROPER HTTP cookie, then pass it to
header_props():

        $new_cookie = $q->cookie(-name=>COOKIE, -value=>$session->id);
        $self->header_props(-cookie=>$new_cookie);

But let's ask Jesse for more insights on this, since I'm not quite
familiar with CGI::Application.

Another thing, you are using COOKIE constant from the CGI::Session
manual, and I assume you have a line something like:

        use constant COOKIE => 'MY_SITE_SID';

at the top of your program, do you? If you were using 'strict' pragma
it would let you know.

ttyl

Sherzod