it's not every day i get to quote myself, but this should answer why
we wanted to use android and appengine...

"The biggest reason we use Android is because it?s open source. It?s
not the first open mobile operating system, but it?s the first open
and comprehensive system with the wide and viable device support that
our users need.

Moreover, as researchers we need to be able to transform the mobile
device into whatever we imagine, whether it?s a mobile ultrasound unit
or a gesture recognizing computer. Android?s open source framework
means we are free to innovate however we see fit, independently of
what other organizations in the Android ecosystem do.

The choice of App Engine is driven by the use cases we?ve seen in the
field. It?s difficult for most organizations in resource constrained
regions to keep infrastructure running. Simply keeping the power
running and the data servers up to date can be quite challenging.

For the many places that have connection to the web via the cell phone
network, it is often more time and cost effective to use something
like Google?s App Engine. Another way to think of it is by analogy
with the email infrastructure. Running an email server is hard, but
with services like Gmail anyone can have email. We want to build
services that make data collection as easy as email."

http://www.frontiereconomy.com/2009/11/data-collection-where-its-needed-the-most/