As the parent of a first-grader, I can try to address some of this.

I see it as a way to practice the skills that underlie algebra.
Commutativity, identities, inverses, etc.

They don't talk about the "3,5,8" group. They practice moving around numbers:

3 + 5 = 8
5 + 3 = 8
8 - 3 = 5
8 - 5 = 3

Any adult can generalize to:

A + B = C
B + A = C
C - A = B
C - B = A

but the concrete practice is a useful thing for people just developing
their number sense. Instead of just practicing that "3 + 5 = 8", they
practice the whole set of permutations algebraically implied by that
fact.

It seems pretty reasonable to me. Practice the facts before you jump
to the abstract rules.

-Johann