On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:24:49 -0500 Rick Dietz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I'm getting ready to move some web material into freenet and I'm
> just
> curious what the current state-of-the-art is in freesite insertion.
> There
> are several nice freesites up right now.  what are authors using to
> insert
> their material and handle updates?
> -rick

Good luck trying to figure out how to do an MSK site.  MSK is a DBR that
I am not willing to do, at least not fully.  Maybe as an experiment just
to see how much I like it.

I am currently doing DBR (Date Based Redirect) and VBR (Version Based
Redirect) combined.  Though I am thinking of just going completely over
to VBR.

I use the DOS batch system to insert and update my site.  One nice
feature of MSK I must admit is the way you can easily set it up to
automaticaly redirect to the same page after only one update per week or
month or whatever.  You can even set it so that it uses a certain period
of time for constant redirects, like daily or weekly or monthly stretches
of time, then just update to 1 or 2 future increments.  Thats very nice.
:)  If you can figure out how to create an MSK in the first place.
ARGH!!

The first thing you need in order to put a site onto freenet in a secure
subspace is the public and private keys for your subspace.  In order to
get them you can insert any file you want under the key "svk@", and there
may be another way useing the command line interface, but, I don't know.
Save the private and public keys that it generates.  It is important that
you remember that the public key is for retrieving files from your
subspace and the private key is for inserting files under your subspace.
Never let anyone know your private key.

Now, to insert a file under your subspace you insert under the key
"SSK@(private key)/(directory structure)/(file)".  And retrieving the
file is the same except you use the public key.

I use two seperate batch files for my site, one for updateing all of my
files, includeing the DBR, and one for just updateing the DBR.

I used SHIFT, a DOS Batch command which changes the first variable of the
command line to the next available variable.  So when I type "binsert2
2001-4-18 2001-4-19 2001-4-20" the batch inserts my DBR,
(date)/index.html, under each date until it gets a blank variable and
stops.  If it gets nothing at all, it does nothing.  If I type "binsert2"
nothing happens.

When I do start doing VBR instead of DBR/VBR I won't need to modify my
Batch programs very much, I won't realy need to get rid of the DBR
commands at all.  It's no problem to just leave the command line blank
after the batch name.

My reasons for useing VBR in conjunction with DBR, and even useing it
without DBR, are:

1) It is easier for me to do.
2) I don't have a clue how to make an MSK and it seems impossible to get
any help from anyone since they all use Linux.
3) I want the ability to easily test my site links and pictures and stuff
BEFORE inserting it.
4) I want my users to be able to browse any version of my files, if they
want to, easily.
5) I want my users to be able to guess the contents of any file on my
site based on the keys that they are inserted under.
6) Because I want to be able to insert my site and not have to reinsert
it every single day.

If none of that makes sense to you, whatever.  That is how I feel and I'm
sticking to it.

Flush is just a batch I cooked up for deleteing all the temporary files
that get generated by freenet and other programs.  I don't like letting
stuff build up till I run out of free space.  Flush uses the Dosnix
command, RM, which you may recognize as a Unix command. :)  Dosnix is a
set of programs designed to work in DOS, only better than anything DOS
has already. :)

Here are the batch files, minus the actual private key I use. :)

binsert.bat:

@echo off
g:
cd \freenet
finsert SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/red.png
e:\private\freenet\website\red.png
finsert SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/sign.png
e:\private\freenet\website\sign.png
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/splash1.html
e:\private\freenet\website\splash1.html
:a
if "%1"=="" goto b
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/%1/index.html
e:\private\freenet\website\date\index.html
shift
goto a
:b
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v13/index.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v13\index.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v10/main.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v10\main.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v5/music.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v5\music.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v5/top.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v5\top.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v3/frames.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v3\frames.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v3/noframes.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v3\noframes.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v2/playlist1.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v2\playlist1.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v2/playlist2.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v2\playlist2.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v2/playlist.m3u
e:\private\freenet\website\v2\playlist.m3u
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/ads.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\ads.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/anticirc.jpg
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\anticirc.jpg
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/back.png
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\back.png
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/bottom.png
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\bottom.png
finsert SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/br.gif
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\br.gif
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/computer.png
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\computer.png
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/emailmev.gif
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\emailmev.gif
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/front.png
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\front.png
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/frontbg.jpg
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\frontbg.jpg
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/indicator.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\indicator.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/left.png
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\left.png
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/musicoff.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\musicoff.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/resume.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\resume.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/resume2.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\resume2.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/right.png
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\right.png
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/square1.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\square1.html
finsert SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/top.png
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\top.png
finsert SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/yac.png
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\yac.png