On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:37:13 -0400 Rich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I have been able to get the basic gist of freenet insertion and
> requesting in a few hours.  No problems there. However, I've been
> trying
> to find some information on inserting an entire directory from my
> computer to Freenet.
>
> Let's say I have mirrored the recent SDMI paper "Reading Between the

> directory simply contains one html file and some images that display
>
> within the page.
>
> How would I post this to freenet so that I don't have to maintain
> the
> page like a site (i.e Snarfoo, gj's, etc...) and the images will
> appear
> properly when the HTML file is requested?  What about if the
> directory
> contains subdirectories (like an image directory or whatnot)

I will take this in stride. :)  I have a freenet site and I was useing a
combination of Date Based Redirect (DBR) and Version Based Redirect
(VBR).  Everyone else seems to want to use DBRs such as MSK@, but I would
much rather use VBR because my site isn't changed often enough to require
an automated DBR such as MSK@.  If you have a site like Yahoo.com that is
changeing on an hourly bases or daily basis then a DBR like MSK@ is a
good choice.  But for those who's files are not being changed very often,
and are being used again and again on webpages and such, a DBR like MSK@
is too much work and is pretty confuseing to boot.

I am now completely switched to VBR only, so in order to get the most
recent version of my site would would click on my splash2.html page, then
follow the link trail through the VBR.html files till you are no longer
able to get the next VBR.  Then you just hit the back button and click
onthe link to the most recent version of my Index.html page. :)

I use DOS batch and the freenet command line interface to do all of my
inserting and updateing.  I don't use MSK@ and I no longer use the
javascript based DBR which was setup to link to the VBR Index.html. :)
I'll put my batch files in this message.  It is easy to do insertions
with batches, but it takes forever.  I wish I could start multiple
instances of the freenet insert program with just one batch, and have
them all run simultaniously on my Win95 system.

Anyway, once you have created a subspace, by inserting any file you want
under the key "freenet:SVK@" you will need to save the private and public
keys that freenet generates and insert your files under
freenet:SSK@(priv-key)/dir/file.ext.  You can use my batch files as an
example to follow. :)

If you don't want to have an updateable website, don't use the VBR or DBR
systems, just create a subspace and insert the files and forget about
them.  And only do reinsertions when you think the files might not exist
anymore. :)

Ok, here are the steps to createing a site on Freenet:

1) Insert any file you want to uner the key "freenet:SVK@" with nothing
after the @ symbol.
2) SAVE the private and public keys that freenet generates for your new
subspace.
3) Insert files under the private key into freenet.
4) If you want to create an updateable site you may want to use a DBR or
VBR method of updateing, such as MSK@ or the older javascript DBR or the
VBR method I devised for my site.
5) Reinsert files if you think that they may not exist anymore on
freenet.
6) Don't give up out of frustration, ask for help if you need it. :)

You may want to use FreeWeb which looks increasinly like a very good and
wonderfull program.  Thanks to David McNab. :)

Here are my batch files.  Enjoy. :)

binsert.bat:

@echo off
g:
cd \freenet
finsert SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/red.png
e:\private\freenet\website\red.png
finsert SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/sign.png
e:\private\freenet\website\sign.png
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/splash1.html
e:\private\freenet\website\splash1.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/splash2.html
e:\private\freenet\website\splash2.html
:a
if "%1"=="" goto b
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/%1/index.html
e:\private\freenet\website\date\index.html
shift
goto a
:b
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v16/vbr.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v16\vbr.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v16/index.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v16\index.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v12/main.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v12\main.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v6/top.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v6\top.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v6/frames.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v6\frames.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v6/noframes.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v6\noframes.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v5/music.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v5\music.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v2/indicator.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v2\indicator.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v2/nomusicmain.htm
l e:\private\freenet\website\v2\nomusicmain.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v2/nomusicframes.h
tml e:\private\freenet\website\v2\nomusicframes.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v2/nomusicnoframes
.html e:\private\freenet\website\v2\nomusicnoframes.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v2/playlist1.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v2\playlist1.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v2/playlist2.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v2\playlist2.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v2/playlist.m3u
e:\private\freenet\website\v2\playlist.m3u
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/ads.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\ads.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/anticirc.jpg
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\anticirc.jpg
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/back.png
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\back.png
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/bottom.png
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\bottom.png
finsert SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/br.gif
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\br.gif
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/computer.png
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\computer.png
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/emailmev.gif
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\emailmev.gif
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/front.png
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\front.png
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/frontbg.jpg
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\frontbg.jpg
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/left.png
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\left.png
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/musicoff.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\musicoff.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/nomusictop.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\nomusictop.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/resume.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\resume.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/resume2.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\resume2.html
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/right.png
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\right.png
finsert
SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/square1.html
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\square1.html
finsert SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/top.png
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\top.png
finsert SSK@************************/Krepta's_Freenet_Web_Site/v1/yac.png
e:\private\freenet\website\v1\yac.png