Freenet uses an inform server to inform nodes about each other.  This
should be replaced by something that can't be attacked, but, I don't know
what.  There is an option to turn off inform read/write in the settings
for freenet, and I think you can tell it to look at a file full of node
addresses.

Also, freenet depends upon people knowing about existing keys, and
currently everyone is useing keyservers such as Steve's Key Index which
you can put your keys on and browse other keys.  I sure hope freenet's
dependance on such centralized servers is removed some time in the near
future.