You're clueless.  Ian is referring to companies whose business revolves
around tracking usage habits of the Internet (usually for marketing
reasons), not to mention other "organizations" that are monitoring traffic
for other reasons.

If you don't understand how easy it is to cross-reference data from a
multitude of sources that are all *publicy* available, then you don't have
the technical understanding of the Internet to be debating on this list.

With the passing of the Patriot Act (have u read it?) the authorities do not
need any reason whatsoever to request that a company provide information on
a specific person or list of persons.  And this is done legally!  What
about the thousands of hackers who can break into Hotmail, Yahoo or any
other site connected to the net?

*This* happens constantly, and is probably the biggest problem on the
internet wrt anonymity.  In New York, they setup a "Do Not Call" list and
asked everyone who didn't want to be called on their phone to get their
name on this list.  About a month later hackers stole the list, sold it to
an unnamed marketing company and now they're getting unsolicited phone
calls.

The only way to guarantee freedom of information is in a system like
Freenet, where all data is considered "Free", not just what you or any
authority in uniform declare.

--
Jay Oliveri
GnuPG ID: 0x5AA5DD54