Matthew Toseland wrote:
Here's a really whacky idea I came up with on the train back from
Strasbourg (please read the whole email before flaming me):

*snip voting idea*

not only do I think this won't work for philosophical reasons, but I think it underlines one of the most fundamental *weaknesses* of the Darknet. Let me explain:

- Firstly, One of the first things that came to mind when you began this quest to determine "trust", was that it creates a very real chance of "groupthink" within freenet. Why? Because, while it is difficult to quantify when the method to *determine* this trust is still largely unknown, the reality is, there will likely be some "like-mindedness" in those who *are* determined as "trustworthy" - this is further underlined by numerous comments that the non-dark-freenet would still be there for the "masses" - the implication is they won't be trusted and likely will have no means to be.

Now, take this a step further. Lets assume for a moment a trust system similar to PGP, where a number of existing nodes/Toad's choices/known-good-nodes/etc become the "base" for the darknet - it's assumed that you will need to somehow gain the trust of these core people to join the darknet itself, which means, at some point, you'll be gaining the approval of the "person" behind the node, in some way.

Now, in a global community where in some parts of the world things like same-sex marriage are a done deal, and in others it's a crime worthy of execution, for example, how do you propose to ensure you have an acceptable cross-section of "minds" behind the darknet? It's seems inevitable to me that the "prevailing winds" of the collective morals of this core group will go a long way to creating the prevailing moral authority for darknet, even *without* a voting system in place - since you're not likely to "trust" individuals with differing views from your own in most cases, and unless this "trust" mechanism is somehow disconnected from people (which would mean that a nefarious party would need only complete these machine requirements to enter the darknet, so is likely not to be the case).

Now, add voting to the mix. Allow this set of "prevailing morals" to be *enforced* within freenet. This about guarantees, given the likely nature of trust, that the aggregate "morality" of the founding Darknet nodes would be preserved within freenet itself, since these founding nodes would have, through overt act or merely by likelihood-of-association, chosen like-minded trustees, who would vote as they do.

You don't have to go to extremes like child-porn to see where this kind of thing could have real-world consequences. Just take a few minutes and look at the US mass media, even in the "land of the free" people are deeply, deeply divided over issues far more benign, some of which on religious grounds, some on moral, some on traditional grounds, some due to reasons I have not even personally considered. Do you honestly believe that your "trust-based" system will truly encompass even that diverse a set of thinkers, in one country, let alone the rest of the world, especially in cases where people may be far more polarized on certain topics?

I see large cultural voting-bloc-type situations that, largely, will maintain the status quo. But that's the thing - the "status quo" is exactly, IMO, what the freenet should NOT be. You *want* the radical, free-thinking underbelly of the world to have somewhere to go where they can dissimate information that *may be* morally objectionable to large swaths of the populous, even the populous of freenet (think religious or cultural or political here - Tibet, scientology, women's rights, etc). What good will freenet be if someone who thinks "against" the prevailing beliefs of a region (but is otherwise "moral", for whatever that term can mean in this context) is simply "Voted down" by those within their own culture that may not agree?

I think the voting would lead to almost a "constitutional" form of "group-morals" that may or may not actually *be* altruistic - I think you'd find human nature would lead to large groups of people voting down information objectionable to *them* on cultural or religious grounds, that, in the broader sense, should not be.

I think this will be a darknet-wide problem in and of itself, mind you, but voting will likely make the problem all the more extreme.

--
Ken Snider