Clive A Marshall-Purves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> How can I confirm that my anonymity is in operation?

Umm, it is by default :)  IIRC the only easy ways to compromise it are through
your own carelessness, like if you used m-p as a Frost handle or revealed too
much personal info on a freesite, or setting the "watchme" test network setting
true in freenet.conf/ini (I don't know what this does exactly or even if it's
still used, my conf is ancient.) Those with a reason to be paranoid should also
worry about spook text analysis algorithms to correlate writing styles.

However "anonymity" is not an absolute anymore than "privacy" or "security" are,
there are attacks against the current network that could theoretically show it
was likely you were the inserter/requestor of X, it's just that they are very
hard / expensive to do since they require the attacker to compromise the
majority of the network. The core devs know much more than me about attack
scenarios since they have to worry about them all the time :/

Also, you should be aware that it is not currently anonymous that you run a node
in the first place. The freenet node protocol is not easy to detect or filter
(anymore!), but harvesting the network is feasible, or you could just collect
seednode files. When 0.7 is released it will be possible to form darknets which
should offer this kind of anonymity too, and in theory be yet more resistant to
compromised node attacks (since you can most likely trust your friends more than
random nodes from seednodes.ref). Again this anonymity can't be absolute on a
public network like the Internet, highly detailed and protracted monitoring by
Them would show a suspicously large amount of high entropy (==encrypted) traffic
from and to your IP suggesting something like VPN or Freenet, but to justify
such expensive and time consuming monitoring of you specifically out of the
billions of 'net users they would need to already have strong grounds to suspect
you so you would probably be screwed anyway.

Bob