On 4/5/06, Lars Juel Nielsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I don't see that; you're only giving your IP address to people you've
> > grown to trust -- via an encrypted-to-them message.  If there's mutual
> > trust between you and anybody else, in any way, then they can connect
> > your IP to however it is they know you.
> >
> > Am I missing something?
>
> They might have gathered the noderef from the postings on IRC and thus
> going through the extra work is pointless.

I have been (or rather pretended to be) careful about sending my node
information only to people I "know and trust" (which simply meant
"were willing exchange node refs in private chat rather than in full
view of the world").

I could also set up two nodes, one at school and one at home, both
with the same Frost identity.  My initial connections are from school
but I only use trusted connections at home --- and I can very tightly
control who gets my home node info.

If there's a security/anonymity hole in the plan I've laid out, please
tell me.  The alpha darknet is not too early to start thinking about
realistic connection procedures.

--Joel