>> Hardly anyone sees that in with the existence of the Internet it
>> is going to imposable to control the flow of information, period.
>> The only way to stop this flow of information is to ban people all
>> together from the Internet. Any sort of censorship and copy
>> protection is going to be defeated, plain and simple.

There's one major factor that will determine the outcome of the 'War
Against Internet Freedom' - the mass user.

In the 60s through 80s, geekiness was a social stigma - personified by
'nerds' with their pocket-protectors, thick-rimmed glasses and
programmable calculators, never ever getting the girls.

Interestingly, in the 90s, geekiness started to become quite hip, even
to the extent that the main character of the 90s' most significant
movie, The Matrix, is the geekiest of the geek.

IMO, what will determine the outcome of this war is whether the mass
users will take it on themselves to gain even just a slightly deeper
understanding of what the Internet is from a technical point of view,
and not regard the 'under the hood' matters as the realm of social
outcasts.

Linux by its very nature strongly encourages technical learning, but
for every Linux box on the desktop, there are 50 W--dows boxes, with
an operating system that increasingly encourages technical ignorance.

So it's up to everyone with even an ounce of technical know-how to
educate everyone they can, to the best of their ability, to start
comprehending the issues involved, and making purchasing decisions
that encourage, rather than discourage, internet freedom.

For instance,

* Prefer Linux
* If one *must* have windows, then *don't* buy XP
* Learn how to determine if any new hardware has any copy
restrictions, and don't buy it
* Boycott ISPs that impose restrictions of any kind
* Set up blacklists of ISPs and web hosts that cave in to threats (eg
from Church of Scientology)
* Stop buying CDs and DVDs, especially from labels that deploy
copy-protection
* Attend more live gigs and other performances
* Don't buy VCRs or hire videos that resist copying

If the masses vote with their wallets, and reject any technology that
compromises the free exchange of material, the War will become a
foregone conclusion.

--
Regards,
 David     mailto:david at rebirthing.co.nz